To handle residues produced in the University in a more sustainable and adequate way. Such behavior is necessary considering PUC-Rio’s Gavea Campus residue output of more than 3 tons a day. Separating those residues in their origin avoids contaminating re-usable materials, increasing its aggregated value, while reducing recycling costs.
- To make re-usage and recycling a common, routine practice.
- To stimulate research on recycling technologies.
- To raise awareness, not only of students but of staff members and professors as well, about the importance of separating materials when getting rid of them.
- To minimize residue output through recycling.
What is the importance of Selective Collection to PUC-Rio?
Besides contributing to minimize residue output, that in PUC-Rio’s case is sent to Nova Iguaçu Residue Treatment Centre, the project integrates PUC-Rio’s Environmental Agenda, that constitutes a whole lot of goals, that, when achieved, would transform PUC-Rio in a sustainable university.
Along the Project’s development PUC-Rio hopes to achieve the following goals:(Taken from PUC-Rio's Environmental Agenda, Pages 24 e 25)
In the short term
- Stimulate selective collection of disposable residue.
- Promote awareness raising campaigns that may contribute to modify, progressively, our current consumer patterns.
- To propose administrative and academic normative actions that stimulate selective collection and residue recycling in the university.
- To implement a selective collection system in the University.
- To implement a pilot sustainable solid residue management system.
- To promote the establishment of norms and strategies for restaurants and cafes, concerning material disposal on the Campus.
- To implement staff training for direct residue management.
- To propose administrative and academic normative action that define conscientious disposal strategies in the university.
In the medium-term
O que deve ser colocado em cada lixeira?
Click on the icons to visualize its content.
Destination of garbage output
After we dispose the garbage in the trash cans it does not disappear. It travels a long way until it gets to the Nova Iguaçu Residue Treatment Centre, or the recycling company. The cleaning staff collects the materials separately, according to the containers’ colors, this means that a single staff member will collect the materials of the yellow containers, while another staff member is responsible for the red ones and so on. The residue collect in the gray baskets (organic garbage and not recycled) are sent to a garbage compactor and then to the Nova Iguaçu Residue Treatment Centre. As it arrives in big boxes (located in the Campus parking), these materials are separated and pre-classified by another staff member. The few pre-classified residue is stored and accumulates in the Selective Collection Container (Plastic and Metal) and in the Paper Container (paper only). Then, the residue is sent to recycling, once a month.
Campaigns to be implemented in 2012.
- Collection of Cells and Batteries
- Electronic Waste Collection