The environmental education is a process of transformation of the unsustainable habits that exist in the society, having as future objective the consolidation of habits environmentally correct and socially fair and solidary. All the themes developed by the environmental agenda of PUC-Rio require to be followed by consistent actions of environmental education, that include the educational community as agent both active and transformer of the process.
Students, professors and personnel are the agents that will transform the propositions for sustainability into daily attitudes in the University. This participation will be achieved through different actions such as campaigns, fairs, events, lectures, seminars, cultural activities, symposia, internet sites and other...
This mobilization aims to stimulate sustainable practices, by means of initiatives turned to the quality of life local, regional and planetary. They are initiatives committed to the balancing of the relations between the human being and himself, with the transcendence, with the society and with nature.
The responsibilities for the sustainability, supported by the environmental education, extrapolate the walls of the University, involving extension activities with the poor communities that inhabit the Gavea valley, the Municipality and State projects, and the far away poor communities. Organized groups, associations and schools shall be the aim of actions of environmental education, always preserving the university campus as a space, a living laboratory that might be used as reference on the processes of sensibilization, knowledge and sustainable practice.
Aiming to incentivate, to keep and expand the environmental education in the campus, as the basis for the change in the habits of PUC’s community, we suggest the following general directives:
- To keep with the process of structuring the campus of PUC-Rio, so that it might more and more become a big living laboratory of environmental education.
- Stimulate sustainable practices within the campus.
- To establish specific and continuing programs of environmental education for students, personnel, professors and dwellers of the surrounding communities and for the formation of multiplying agents in the municipality and in the State of Rio de Janeiro.
- Implementation of symbolic and operational actions that stimulate the participation of the community in the continuing process of environmental education, such as, for example, the recycle hangar, the exchange-your-goods tent, hitchhiking stops and guided tours in the green area of the campus, through the garden of biblical plants and in the experimental station.
- To structure multidisciplinary research lines aimed at different themes within the formal and informal environmental education.
- To map out sustainable initiatives and practices related to the environmental education in PUC-Rio’s campus, looking for information about what is done, who does and how does, as well as results achieved and perspectives.
- Incentivate, through campaigns, the conscientious consumption in the University.
- Incentivate, through campaigns, the conscientious use of water in the University.
- Incentivate, through campaigns, the rational use of energy in the University.
- Incentivate, through campaigns, the recycling within the University.
- Stimulate the friendly hitchhiking in the University through campaigns of concientization and internet tools.
- Stimulate through the exchange-your-goods tent and the use of internet tools the friendly exchange.
- Keep supporting the organic products fair in the campus.
- To keep doing the written register of the sustainable practices performed in the campus, in the University surroundings and in the environmental education projects of PUC-Rio with the Municipality, the State and the private and government-owned companies.
- To join the patrimony of publications, CDs, DVDs of the projects of Environmental Education made by PUC-Rio, so that it might be consulted by the teacher and student bodies and the external public.
- To implement strategies of integration of professors teaching the innumerable disciplines turned to the environmental questions, with the perspective of the construction of concepts and academic practices that are interdisciplinary.
- To implement an exchange-your-goods fair in the campus.
- To stimulate the participation of the community in the process of implementation of the Environmental Agenda, integrating it in the Directing Plan of the campus.
- To implement participative systems of environmental cogestion of the university campus.
- To make visible externally the Environmental Agenda of PUC-Rio as a pioneer instrument constructed interdisciplinarily and interdepartmentally, aimed at the search of sustainable solutions in the local level.
- To try to introduce the Environmental Agenda of PUC-Rio as a proposal of joint responsibility compromise from the institution with the values of the global sustainability, having as target the improvement of the quality of socioenvironmental life of the planet.