The energy consumption from several sources has been in the past years the largest factor contributing for the environmental unbalance, mainly due to its relation with the production of greenhouse gases from the use of fossil fuels.
The Brazilian energy matrix, basically of hydroelectric origin, supplies the large urban centers and is dependent on the precipitation cycles, what may come to experience strong changes due to foreseeable climate changes.
Complementary energy sources based on local matrixes such as solar energy, wind and anaerobic decomposition must be stimulated, increasing the supply of energy and, consequently, reducing the effects of climate limits.
The efficient use of energy through the utilization of adequate low consumption technologies and the changes in the people habits, such as less polluting transport options, are actual demands in the way of the sustainability of the society as a whole and of the University as part of this whole.
Aiming to turn the energy usage in the campus into a sustainable one we suggest the following directives:
- Rational and efficient management of the energy consumption avoiding waste and undue use based in a robust monitoring system.
- Implementation of systems composed of low energy consumption equipment
- Implementation of programs that integrate the traditional energy sources and the alternative such as wind and solar.
- Incentivate consciousness raising campaigns for the rational and sustainable use of energy in the campus.
- Stimulate the use of solar energy capture systems in the campus.
- To map the energy consumption, identifying its use per each equipment, and the amount of incident solar energy in the campus.
- Map the electromagnetic fields in the campus.
- Monitoring of the energy consumption per each unit of the University.
- Implementation of hybrid air-cooling systems.
- Implementation of efficient filters to be installed in the glass windows of the classrooms that deflect the radiation reducing therefore the heating up of the classrooms and, consequently, the use of air-conditioning.
- Implementation of low energy consumption equipment.
- Implementation of solar energy capture systems in the campus.- pilot
- Implementation of wind energy capture systems in the campus.- pilot
- Implementation of systems of energy production from discarded residues.- pilot
- Proposal of administrative and academic actions that guide for the sustainable energy use in the campus.
- Adequate the premises of the campus to the electromagnetic emissions.
- To change PUC-Rio’s energy matrix.
- Detailed monitoring and careful management of the use of energy in the campus.
- To promote the adjustment and expansion of the campus premises aiming to reduce the energy consumption through the improvement of the thermal efficiency of the buildings and open spaces.